Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Now where was I?

I am thinking about work or more specifically about what a job consists of. Maybe I've misunderstood the common interpretation of Marxist economic determinism, but I find the broad class definitions are limited in use. In this period of turbulence, there is a good amount of splitting and fracturing. Someone's relationship to the economic process is only part of the question. More important is the type of contract they have. This will come in many different forms. For example, 2 people could ostensibly be doing the same job but one will be a contractor on 50% more than the full time permanent. Some of the cost differential will be fundamental benefits such as occupational pension, sick pay, holiday pay. But I think the differences are greater than at first. This is where my 'pentagon of professionalism' comes in! Apologies for the alliteration
Imagine a regular pentagon (like a panel on a football). At its apex is presence. This is the filling of the post and is measured by a person's existence. It rests on one side with two corners. At one is performance and the other is personification. The former is self explanatory and is what you do. The latter is slightly more opaque and describes how you represent the organisation, physically, intellectually, morally, spiritually. At the wider apexes naturally are the broader components of a post. Potential and persuasion. In short, what you could do for the organisation and what you get others to do. Now, if we use the full pentagon, we can see how a full time staffer has the capacity to address each of the corners whereas a contractor is unlikely to be interested in potential and personfication and only marginally affected by persuasion

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home