It's not obvious in the name
I realise that it's 2 months since I last blogged, well I've been on holiday for some of that time. And one place we visited was Orange in Provence or if we try it in French Auraunje in Provonsse
Which brings me onto something which I find more than a little amusing, well I have an odd sense of humour
The name Orange as in the City has given its name to innumerable institutions because the Duchy of Orange was a title which was taken by some of the more active medieval protagonists. So William of Orange who became William III of England etc. The Netherlands have their House of Orange. In fact so important is the name that the Ulster Orangemen and the Dutch football team use the colour orange extensively. Which is why the origin of the City's name is important... it has nothing to do with the colour or the fruit!
Orange (the City) or in its provencal/languedocien version is Aurenjo takes its name from the roman which in turn takes its name from the celtic auresio which actually is the name of the celtic River god. So forget the colour or the fruit which is sanskrit (narenja) in origin it's a celtic deity. Even funnier given its Ulster connection

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home